Sunday, February 6, 2011

Zebra Print Screen

I found out an interesting piece of trivia while researching this next piece.

Did you know that zebras come in three different colour varieties?
Well, they do.

1) The typical BLACK & WHITE
2) BROWN & WHITE
3) ALL WHITE

So, no,....this is not a dirty zebra hide!

I chose to paint this one in a brown and cream because it matched my decor better than the stark black and white.
I only have finished photos of this project, sorry.

I actually painted these three separate panels while they were hanging on a large board.

I used a painter's drop cloth (cotton) for my canvas fabric.

Believe it or not, it is the same stuff. It just hasn't been stretched onto a frame yet and primed.

I cut my canvas pieces.

Then I attached them to a large board with a few staples at the top and bottom to hold them into place for the painting process. (plywood sheet, standing up).

NOTE: I only did it this way initially because I wasn't sure where I would use the finished product.

I thought of using the pieces for cushions covers, or to upholster a small chair. It turned out in the end to be a bit too rough to use for either of those options ,...so I decided on the next best thing.

A ROOM DIVIDER SCREEN.

1) Prime all three pieces

2)  draw out basic outline of the zebra hide onto the panels with a pencil

3)  Using some watered down acrylic paints,  I begin to fill in all of the lighter stripes.

4)   I then fill in the darker stripes using the same process as above.

5)  Create a textured look by adding some shadow to the lighter stripes, it now looks more like hair

My husband built three frames for me out of some 1" pine trim pieces.

6)  I trimmed each panel and stapled them onto the frames.

VOILA!!!



Here it is with hinges.


A really warm looking room divider screen or a wall hanging. I have used it for both.

NOTE: Because I had to trim the edges, it looks like the stripes don't all line up. That's O.K., I like it anyway.


Until next time, bye for now.