Sunday, February 6, 2011

"VISIONS OF AFRICA" Decorative Room Divider Screen

Visions Of Africa

Out of simple bi-fold doors (2 sets), I have created something you are going to want to see.

When I was doing the research for the "Zebra Print Screen" from my last post, I came across so many beautiful scenery photos of Africa.

I was amazed!

I didn't know up until that time that the land was so lush, or that there were vineyards.

I started gathering as many photos of African scenery, plants, birds, bugs and animals as I could find.
(a few of the animals are actually from Australia)

I could see it already in my minds eye.

1 project that somehow incorporated every one of these little photos.

Here is how it all came together.

1) I found all four of the bi-fold doors at Value Village for $10.

2) Repaired any damaged bits. They were already raw wood so sanding wasn't necessary.

3) Primed and painted high gloss black. (everything except the inset panels on either side)

4) I Decided on four different birds for the backside of each door.

Here they are:


Here they are individually.





Once they were all finished I had the thought of painting four animals on the other side. Here is a photo of that stage, but I end up changing my mind.


5) I decide to instead create 7 small postcard-like paintings on each of the panels.

Here is the beginning,....


It doesn't look like much yet but it will.

6) Here you will see the process.
You can see the photos I chose as well as the drawings.


Here the first panel has been completed and the second one has begun.






I continue in this manner until I have completed each panel.

7) I now distress the doors to give them a vintage look.

8) I sign it.

9) I seal the entire piece with varathane.

10) I add some antique brass hinges and some decorative door handles.


Before I show you the completed piece, I will share all of the specifics with you.

This item is a solid wood 4-paneled room divider screen with all brass hardware, containing a total of 32 individual hand-painted images of African scenery and animals.

The 28 paintings on the front are painted to resemble postcards or photographs.

The screen consists of four 1-inch thick individual panels, each measuring 14.75 inches wide by 78.75 inches high.

The overall dimensions are 78.75 inches high X 59.5 inches wide X 1 inch thick, with hardware attached.

The panels fold in on each other to form a package 4.5 inches thick.

Total weight is approximately 42 lbs (19 kg).

Here are the finished product photos.



I enjoyed sharing this project with you.

Until next time.