Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hand Painted "WASP" Platter

This particular piece was inspired by one of my uncle, Patrick Bertin's photographs.

He calls himself an amateur photographer, although I think his work is fantastic.

You can view his work on Flicker. I have given you a direct link to his page. You will find the photo I used under the heading macro insects.

The platter is 14" square with a coating of varnish that I have to remove before I can begin.

I sanded the tray to remove the shiny coating.

I drew out my image, and then painted using acrylics.

I acknowledged my uncle an the bottom left and I signed it at the right.

I sealed the piece with 2 coats of varathane.

Take a look.







In the end, I was not at all happy with the white border around the painting. It was crisp, but for some reason when I applied the sealer it started to deteriorate.

Once the sealer had been applied, there was no going back. if I had tried to fix it I could have destroyed the entire painting.

My solution was to just live with it.

I hope you liked the photos.

Bye for now.