Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HEDDON TACKLE AD painted on a plaque

As you can see. I bought this small plaque for a whopping $1.99 at the local Salvation Army. It doesn't look like much now, but I promise it does get better.

Like I have stated before, I love vibrant colours and vintage ads.

I combined my love for both by creating this beautiful piece that was inspired by a HEDDON TACKLE advertisement.



1. Find inspiration!
Beneath is an actual HEDDON Tackle ad.


2. The plaque was untreated pine to begin with so I didn't have to strip it at all.

3. I drew out the pattern.

4. Painted in using crafters acrylics. (Deco art, Americana,...often referred to as tole paints.) They can be found at any local craft store or at Michaels craft store

5. Painted in the entire piece.

6. I signed it.

7. I sealed it with acrylic varathane, at least three coats.

NOTE: I use Diamond Finish Waterborn Varathane (gloss), it is sold at Canadian Tire

Here are some photos of the progression.






I hope you enjoyed this post, and that you are also inspired to create beauty around you.