Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Desk That Thought It Was A T.V. Stand

This desk has had three distinct uses. It was once a dresser, then a desk and now it's a T.V. stand.

As you can see from the blurry photo it's a pretty nondescript shade of burgundy, what you don't see is the gunmetal gray top with funky little stick figures on it because I started scraping it off as soon as we got this desk home.

My hard work unveiled beautiful veneer.
NOTE: I prefer solid wood pieces with no need for veneer, but since I liked the overall look of this desk I splurged and paid a whopping $20.

 Since this piece wasn't top quality nor was it real wood, I didn't go through the sanding and scraping process for the base.

I repainted the bottom and the drawers with two coats of glossy black paint and sealed the top with 5 coats of polyurethane (oil based). The polyurethane stands up to a lot more abuse in the long run than an acrylic.


Here it is as a T.V. stand, and the convenient opening was perfect for a small footstool . Pretty nice!




Sometimes things have multiple uses.

See you next time.