Thursday, February 3, 2011

The THREE Chair Bench

You read the title right!

I was walking up to the garbage room of my apartment building one day, and I happened to glance outside. I couldn't believe my eyes. Someone had moved out and left a solid pine breakfast bar (floating shelf) and three old, ugly solid pine chairs behind.

I quickly glanced around to see if anyone was looking.  I grabbed the stuff and dragged it all down to my patio. I live on the ground floor, I know,...how convenient.
 I moved everything inside and removed the slats that made up the chair seats. At this point, make sure that all the screws holding the chairs are tightened.


After this step I simply laid the breakfast bar onto the chairs and marked where all my screws would go to secure it. I then pre-drilled all the holes and used about 100 screws to fasten it.

It is a very functional piece especially when you have unexpected guests for dinner.  It would also be great for a deck, because it's solid wood it would weather very well.

Here are two variations of the finished piece.

The first photo is of a wooden seat, the second has padding.


In the photo above, I reused the chair slats to create under seat shelves. In the photo below, I removed them.


DARE TO BE DIFFERENT! Just because something like this isn't necessarily the norm, doesn't mean it can't be beautiful.

Bye for now.