Thursday, February 3, 2011

Distressed with Faux Stone Detailing Room Divider Screen

I found these three doors at our local Re-Store, they were a great find.
I think I only paid $20.00 and that includes the 6 brass hinges.

The two outer ones are custom made SOLID OAK closet doors and the center one in your typical hollow core interior door.

My first step obviously was to strip the inset panels of the oak doors down so that I could paint in my faux technique.


Now I paint the background of all the inset panels in a mustard yellow as a base for my stone.


I then get my paints ready as well as a spray bottle of water and I begin producing my faux stone.


Then I add some veining to create depth in the stone.


I now paint everything else in a gloss black, front and back.

I have added 6 solid brass hinges to connect it all together and have now distressed the black paint to make it look old.


With the hinges in place, the small oak doors are now able to completely fold in perfectly over the center door. It creates a pretty neat package.



The final phase was to coat the entire piece with 3 coats of varathane.
Here are a few pictures to show the final product.




I actually have a photo of it being used as a headboard for a queen sized bed, here it is.


Instead of selling this piece I traded it for an acacia wood harvest Table worth $200 second hand. Here are two photos of it.



You can seat six people at this table, I love it!

Sometimes exchanging is better than cash, and this was definitely one of those times.

Happy crafting!

Bye for now.