Friday, February 4, 2011

The Revamped Armoire

My husband Trevor and I set off on a new adventure in August of 2008.  We  moved to Campbellton, NB to be closer to my family.

The mandatory bilingualism made it impossible to find decent employment so we had no choice but to return to Halifax the following April.

That being said, while we were there I found a beautiful place to spend a lot of my time. The Campbellton Food (soup kitchen*second hand furniture and clothing) Bank. This place wore many hats in the community as you can see, and I met some pretty fantastic people there.

That is where I happened upon this lovely armoire (I say lovely VERY loosely), but it was only $10. The dimensions are 64.5" Tall X 36" Wide X 21.5" Deep.

Now the Food Bank was only half a block away from our place, if that. When I came home and told Trevor that I had found a BARGAIN he and my brother came with me to see it.

Because we lived so close, they proceeded to carry it home. I have to admit they did make it, but they had to trudge through snow filled streets all the way. I can still hear the SPECIAL CHOICE WORDS they uttered as they worked.

Now there are mirrors for the doors, they were removed before I took the first photo. Sorry about that.

The first step was to paint the interior a nice antique green. Take a look.


Next I painted the door frames and the exterior of the whole piece in a glossy black acrylic/latex paint.



I added a second coat of black and then I distressed the exterior.


The white primer and some wood are now visible. I even remove a large chunk of paint from one top corner to scratch mine and my husband's initials into it, making it appear like a piece of reclaimed lumber was used by accident.



Now, I use a walnut brown paint applied to a rag and I rub over the exterior to make all the exposed wood appear more aged.

Then, the final step is to add 2 coats of varathane to the entire piece and reattach the mirrors.


Note: I didn't like the original handles so I removed them. I will replace them at a later date.

It is a very functional piece.

My husband put in some shelves so I could use it to hold my craft supplies, but it could easily be used as a wardrobe because it is deep enough to accommodate a hanger.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Happy bargain hunting!

Bye for now.