Monday, February 7, 2011

Vintage Hospitality

As I have stated in previous posts, I really love the look of old ads.

I love the image they project.

The combination of vibrant colour along with the subject matter have a way of making you feel like you stepped into a different time, a much simpler time. A time where craftsmanship and creativity was valued.

Just think about a 1950's Diner for instance.

In my mind, I can conjure up images of a jukebox playing in the background, checkered tablecloths, hand painted signs claiming that they have the best coffee and burgers in town, and the servers calling you by name.
If you take a good look around today, it's quite evident that in our quest for progress, we have completely forgotten what genuine hospitality is.

This, in my opinion is why so many people flock to any establishment that represent loyalty, community, familiarity and gaiety.

Everyone wants to be part of something that makes them feel valued as a customer and as a person.
Let's look at Sears for example.

Believe it or not every item in a vintage sears catalog was hand drawn and painted! Here are some examples:



Compare these images to what you see today.



Now, examine these Campbell's Soup Posters

I don't know how to explain it, but just looking at these makes me feel happy.



Doesn't that make you feel good?

Today, I am going to show you four different ads that I chose to recreate in my own way.

The first two are both from LEONETTO CAPPIELLO.

PARAPLUI-REVEL
LES BONBON JACQUIN

Here are the paintings I created using these as my inspiration.

I always state the name of the original painter, as you can see it is at the bottom left

The original artists name is at the back of this one

The next is a Barnum and Bailey Circus Poster, this particular one was created by HENRI GRAY.


Here is my version of it.

BARNUM & BAILEY
The original artists name is at the back

Notice that every image I reproduce I also change slightly from the original.

The last one I have to show you is a lithograph poster for CRISTIANI BROS CIRCUS

CRISTIANI BROS


Here is my version.


I hope you enjoyed this post. 

I look forward to our next project together.

Until next time.