Friday, February 4, 2011

Among The Magnolias

The caretaker of our old apartment building had a little occasional table she was getting rid of and asked if I could use it.

Of course I said SURE!

My inspiration for this piece came along in the form of two pictures I found on-line. The first one was of a magnolia tree, and the other was of a dragonfly standing on a branch.

Here are the steps I took to complete this project.

1. Taped off a border around the edge of the table. (I wanted the table top to look like a picture frame)

2. Painted in the background with a couple different shades of blue, purple, pink and white to create the daylight sky.

3. I drew in the magnolias.

4. I then drew in my dragonfly resting on a branch. (this part needed to be very detailed because he would become the focal point)


5. I began by painting the magnolias in a very naive way because they were meant to appear much further back than the dragonfly.

6. I painted in the dragonfly last so that all the minute detail could be focused on the foreground.



7. I signed it.


8. I removed the tape.

9. I applied 2 coats of varathane to the overall body of the table, but I used 6 coats on the surface.

Here is the finished product.



I hope you liked it.

Note: Sorry about my feet in the pictures.  Ha ha!

Until next time.