Sunday, February 13, 2011

Giant Jungle Leaf

This image, is from a library book about jungle plants.

I love how the light reflects onto the surface and I was inspired to try and recapture it.

Here are the steps:

1) I used a piece of 2" thick plywood (cut to size.)

NOTE: If you do not own a table saw you can get your local lumber store to make the cuts for you. (they will only do straight cuts though)

2) I then wrap the plywood with a piece of canvas. Stapling into place at the back.

3) I prime the canvas. This step makes the cloth canvas tighten even further to the plywood.

4) I drew out my leaf, then used black paint to go around the perimeter of the leaf just to make it easier to see the edges.

As you will see in the photo below I had originally intended to paint three.


5) I begin to paint in the leaf in dark shades of green.


6) I have now added some yellow/green for filling in highlights and veins. I also used some black/green to create shadow at the vein edges.


7) Now I begin painting in the leaf using a variety of green and yellow paints, blending as I go to create a light reflection.


8) I continue painting and blending until the leaf is finished.


9) This is the point where I realize that I only want the one leaf, so I proceed to paint out the others.


10) Now using a cross hatch pattern with my paintbrush (an "X" movement), I fill in the entire canvas with thick black paint strokes. Covering the entire canvas including the sides. (this gives people the option to not have to frame the piece)

11) I seal the front and edges with varathane.

12) I staple brown paper to the back to make it look clean, (this step covers all the canvas edges).

13) I NAME ("GIANT JUNGLE LEAF") and SIGN it at the back.

Here is the finished project:



I hope you enjoyed this post.

Until next time.