Saturday, January 11, 2014

Posters-A-Plenty

Lately, I have been experimenting with creating posters.

It all started when my husband asked me to create a design for a bulletin board project he had last year...

I designed a science fiction movie theme for him.

The design included a life size painting of Morpheus from the Matrix...NOTE:  I did not paint the face or hands.

I wrote a post about this called  
The empty BULLETIN BOARD

I really enjoyed working on this piece, and it inspired me to begin creating posters.
It's kind of like filling in an empty bulletin board, except with paper and markers...don't you think?

Here are more images of Morpheus'  progression from drawing to paint...believe it or not, this only took a few hours to do.  

I even amazed myself at how quickly it all came together :)



I realized after completing this project, that I really enjoy piecing things together to create an overall collage of images...just like putting a magazine cover together with headlines and images.

Anyway, I decided to try creating some posters.

I will show you the original drawings, then coloured, then after using some effects in PHOTOSHOP, and then the complete poster.

This is my cat Magoo...this poster is for him.



 My rendition is a tad bit more fluffy than he actually is.

Here is the original


 Here is one of the pillows I made...I brought it into PHOTOSHOP, gave it a paint daubs effect and then an anisotropic effect and removed the background.

I took the pencil drawing, scanned it into my computer and brought the image into PHOTOSHOP.  I adjusted the brightness and contrast, added paint daubs and anisotropic effects...coloured the eyes and removed the background.


 Now you see why I removed the background from both images...so Magoo could lay on the pillow.



Here is the finished poster.

The entire background was created using PHOTOSHOP...
*I used a two tone sponge in the paint brush section for the sky
*I used the grass brush and two paint colours at a time to create the grassy field
*I used the selector to create the frame and painted it in with a regular brush with green paint at 16% opacity to create a dreamy, see through frame.
 


Below, is a picture of Gregory, my other cat...
This next poster is for him, it also shows exactly what he is actually like!!!



Here is the original, but I had already coloured it in before scanning


Here I brought it into PHOTOSHOP and removed the background


Then, I created a completely solid grey  replica of the kitty shape...


which I then treated with an effect that renders the dark grey shape to a translucent grey, 
like an actual shadow 

Here is the finished poster...
*I adjusted the brightness and contrast 
*added posterization effect
*highlights
*drop shadow
*anisotropic effect to soften the image
*created a background and of course added text


This one you have already seen...Hand Stitching Frenzy

Original


Cropped printed copy


Coloured in with my Prismacolour pencil crayons


Brought into PHOTOSHOP
*Created a background 
*added text
*Adjusted brightness and contrast
*added anisotropic effect


Original Toothy Lucy coloured in with markers


I removed the background in PHOTOSHOP


*Coloured her skin
*changed the colour behind the giant tooth from green to blue
*made her eyes glow
*added anisotropic effect
 


This is Rusty...
*here he is coloured in with marker
Here he is after PHOTOSHOP


Here is the original drawing for the MOVEMBER Poster


Here is a black and white copy for colouring

 Here he is, all coloured in


After adjusting brightness and contrast in PHOTOSHOP


Here is the finished poster



I created a whole bunch of individual pieces that I will add together for my next poster...
These are all images created in PHOTOSHOP for the background

Tree leaf shadow 1
 
 

Tree leaf shadow 2



 Tree leaves

Ridge dark
 

Ridge  medium


Ridge  light


Bushes dark


Bushes  light


Now for the poster subject...I decided to create my own condiment ad.

Here is the original


Here is the colouring copy


Here it is coloured in with pencil crayon


I again, created a shadow


After adding some PHOTOSHOP effects


You can't have condiments all by themselves...you need a hamburger and hotdog.

Here is the original all coloured in


Here it is all cleaned up with no background.


 Now you can see all the elements put together


I've added a border and my product pitch...


This is the original ZOMBIE drawing...I decided against the caution ribbon


Here it is complete


Here is the original pencil drawing for the denim purse or jeans poster


Here is the black and white copy


This poster was completely coloured in PHOTOSHOP


 Below are two variations of the complete poster



I hope you enjoyed this post, I sure enjoyed sharing it with all of you.

Until next time, Be Creative :)