Thursday, February 3, 2011

Large Round Footstool

I acquired this lovely piece for a mind blowing $6.99 at the local Second Hand Store.

I knew it would be the perfect size for a huge stuffed footstool.

It measures 29" in diameter, has metal legs and is made of masonite.

It was much too ugly to use in its original form, but wait and see what it looked like finished.

I started by just looking at the table and waiting for inspiration to strike, then lo and behold, it did!

1. I created a boxed pleat skirt out of 2 small rustic fleece blankets that I bought at the dollar store. I stapled it into place around the rim.

2. I stuffed the top with old scrap pieces of polar fleece I had been holding onto. It looks incredibly fluffy now. I am sure all you sewers out there can appreciate re-using as many scraps as possible because fabric can be incredibly expensive.

3. I then used a piece of white cotton fabric over the stuffing, stapled and pulled to shape as I went along. NOTE: Always anchor fabric at the center of all four sides first so you can then attach the rest without struggling.

4. Next I added the top fabric. I chose a heavy, upholstery grade faux suede that I bought at a garage sale in Baddeck, Cape Breton. I cut my fabric to fit and secured it to the rim of the table with staples.

5. Then I attached a black piece of trim to the edge. The final step was to glue another piece of trim over the black one to completely cover the staples. I didn't have any so I decided to leave it as it was. From a distance you can not even notice.


I hope you enjoyed this post.

See you next time.