Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Painter's Palette I DESIGNED For The Header Of My Blog

I wanted to create a completely original design for my blog header that expressed what it was about.

I ended up messing around drawing one day, and it came to me. What could be more perfect than a palette with brushes?

I began to draw.

The preliminary ideas aren't usually very pretty, here is the first draft.
I think this proves my point.

 What I usually do after this stage is trace it onto another piece of paper with much cleaner lines.
NOTE: That is why I use black marker (I love the SHARPIE brand) around the first draft. I like using regular paper rather than tracing paper so I need to have a much darker line than pencil can give me.
I buy my SHARPIE markers in a pack of 24 from COSTCO. I realize you do need a membership to shop here but, you can also find them at Staples or any other stationary or art store.

Here we have a workable copy, before colour is added.


My husband bought these for my 37'th birthday.  I had been wanting these for about 7 years.

I wanted the palette to look vintage so I decided it would be made of wood. So, using my PRISMACOLOR PREMIER Colored Pencils from Michaels, I needed to create wood grain and colour in my paintbrushes.

This next photo shows that.


The PRISMACOLOR set comes with a blender (no colour) pencil that helps you to blend the colours on the page like smudging a crisp pencil line to create shadow.

These next two photos depict the completed project.



The last thing that needed to be done was to have the finished version edited and resized. My husband did that for me because I do not know how to use all these fancy editing tools like Photoshop or Gimp.

It's pretty amazing what can be done with coloured pencils. Although they are artist grade with a price to match.

I hope you liked this post,

See you next time.