Tuesday, January 28, 2014

FAUX STAINED GLASS "Vintage Diner Ad"

                                        

It all started last October. 
Remember I said that I found some FREE windows?

This is how they looked before they were cleaned...pretty gross right?


This is how one pane looks after cleaning.


 So much better!

For this post, I created a faux stained glass of a vintage ad.

I have created faux stained glass in the past using a product called 
GALLERY GLASS...

The next image will show you;

* Gallery Glass Paints
* A Paint chart (to show how Gallery Glass colours look like when dry)
* Gallery Glass Magazine
* How to apply Gallery Glass paints
* Pattern & Painted with Gallery Glass (rooster)


Gallery Glass is great stuff...I strongly recommend you give it a try.  
Each of the magazines contain full patterns to each design contained therein, that you tape to the back of the glass.
So if you aren't able to create your own design, don't worry...all you need is the ability to follow a straight line.

Oh yeah...AND IT'S REALLY FUN!!!!!!!!!

For this project, I DIDN'T have any Gallery Glass paints...

I decided that I wanted to try recreating the look of Gallery Glass, only, using other products.

Here is a list of the products I used;

*  Artist Acrylic paints
*  Mod Podge
*  GOLDEN Regular Gel Medium
*  I used a vintage ad as my pattern


Onto the post...

The very first thing I needed, was inspiration!!!
Which I found in a vintage Diner ad depicting a hamburger...here it is again.


 Now, I have to remove all colour and cut it into quarters so that I can print
it off onto 4 separate sheets of paper.

Once I had my 4 gray-scale images printed, I proceeded to tape them together.

See below.


Now that my inspiration pattern is ready, I can begin to prepare the glass.

Here, I am painting the surface of the glass with Mod Podge.  I am using a wide, flat brush and creating almost a wave or fan-like effect on the glass.

This is similar to vintage frosted glass, in my opinion anyway.

NOTE:  Mod Podge goes on white but don't worry, it dries clear.


Below, the entire pane has been coated, and as you can see, it is beginning to dry.


Here, you see why I had to cut the ad into 4 and reprint it...It's 
obviously way too small!


That's more like it!!!!!


Now, I simply turn the window pane around, center my pattern 
(making sure it's facing down of course)
and tape it to the glass.

When you turn it over again, this is what you see.  
Pretty cool right?


Now, I just have to wait until all of the Mod Podge dries.


Here it is all dry...see the cool effect?


What the.....Ha ha ha
My husband decided to photo bomb the picture.


 Now, I create a fine black paint out of artist acrylic paint mixed with a generous amount of Podge...
this makes it runny, kind of like a thick ink.

Now I can outline all of the letters and shapes onto the glass surface.


Here, everything has been outlined.
My faux lead lines are finished.


Look at the red paint in the dish...that is acrylic paint mixed with GOLDEN
Gel Medium.

GOLDEN Gel Medium, like Mod Podge, looks white in the container, but dries clear.  
Gel Medium is specifically formulated to add dimension to artwork...it
maintains the form in which you apply it.

When I filled in the letters below, I applied the mixture in a kind of stripe fashion, using a brush and a toothpick for spreading.


Here is a better look.
This is exactly what it looks like even after it dried.


Notice that it is darkening in hue as it dries...
Very similar to the Gallery Glass paint chart, don't you think?


A close-up view of the dried letters.



Now, I fill in anything else that is to be red.


Now, for the cheese slice, lettuce and pickle.


Now, the burger and bun.  Notice the texture...just like REAL coloured glass.

Is it just me, or is everybody getting a little hungry?


Now for the price tag and the dots.


Here it is finished, and back-lit with grass and my patio.

My Mom loves the way it looks here...
She said she would have liked it if I had painted
those muted colours directly onto the reverse side of the window.


Here it is against white curtains.

I have to admit, I like it against a wall...the colours seem so much MORE vibrant to me.


The only issue with this piece is that you can NEVER wash it!!!!!
It is made up of all water based ingredients, so any moisture would instantly destroy it.

A little bit of dusting only.
Be happy...I am actually giving you permission to NOT clean this!
Ha ha haaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Here is a final image of the transformation.


I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.  

I really do hope you give Gallery Glass a try...
and if for any reason you don't like it when you're done, simply peal it off the glass and throw it out.
-----Easy Peasy-----

Until next time, Be Creative :)