Sunday, January 10, 2016

Paper Rose Leaves


This post will show how to create realistic looking leaves for paper roses
Here is the original drawing I did of a half of a rose leaf


Once the drawing was finished, I brought it into Photoshop, created a mirror image so that I could have a symmetrical FULL LEAF


Every rose has a calyx...for all of those who have never heard of a calyx, that is the group of 5 leaves that sits directly under the petals of a rose


The next step is to create collages of calyxes and leaves (large and small) in Photoshop. 


Notice if you will that each of the leaves has a small tab at the bottom...do NOT cut this off, you will need it to complete the process


When you have the collage sheets just right, print them on card stock paper.
I used cover stock from staples


As a recap, here is a STEPS page

 

You can see on the steps page above that I show the score lines in the leaves...this is optional, but so worth it for the finished look :)

NOTE:  I didn't know at first that the calyx contained 5 leaves, so the images of the calyx's further down only have 4 

In the next few images you can see that all the leaves and calyxes have been cut out and painted with acrylic paints.


After the paint dried, I dry brushed each leaf with a bit of white paint to add a vintage silvery look
and finally, I sealed them on both sides with gloss, acrylic varathane

I'm not going to lie...this process takes a LONG time and all the cutting is really hard on your hands so take your time to do this craft over a long period of time rather than in 2 days like I did :(








Now for the leaf and stem assembly

As you can see in the image below we have a leaf, a half of a white pipe cleaner and a hot glue stick



Now you see what the tab is for, you have to have a place to adhere the pipe cleaner to :)

Add a generous dab of hot glue along the center of the leaf tab and attach the pipe cleaner 


Squeeze the tab edge around the pipe cleaner before the glue dries...you may have to sacrifice a few of your leaves before you get the hang of this
I lost a few myself because I wasn't quick enough :(...Good thing I always make extras :)





As you can see from the photo above, I gently crushed each of the leaves after attaching the pipe cleaners so that they look like they have veins.


Now, for the calyxes.
I painted, dry brushed with white and sealed the same as for the leaves.


I had to be able to attach the calyx to the base of the rose, so I needed to make a hole in the center.
I used a toothpick to poke a hole



I then used a small pair of scissors to cut away a generous bit of the center that was large enough to accommodate the rose stem
 

Here you can see the stem being inserted


I had to make sure the hole in the calyx was big enough for the base of the rose's large TAPE SECTION to fit through without tearing


Once the calyx is right up to the flower base, use the glue gun to attach it permanently to the rose...
it covers up the base of the flower nicely


Lastly, manipulate the calyx leaves so that they look more natural


Here is the finished product


I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Until next time remember to always Be Creative :)