Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Vintage Style Coffee Shop Sign

This project began with a recycled, solid oak cupboard door measuring 30.5" Long by 16" High.

I found it at our local Habitat For Humanity ReStore, this is a great place to find good, used building supplies at a very reasonable price.

I strongly suggest that if you have a ReStore location near you that you check it out.
As I said above, I started with a solid oak cupboard door.


The first step is to sand the original finish off and prime the inset panel, here is a photo.


I then drew out one potential option on paper.

Here is a photo.


What I ended up with looks a bit different though, I just used the drawing as an idea this time.

each of the following photos are of the individual pieces (drawn in)that I did choose for the sign.

The photos below depict the coffee cup and spoon focal point of the painting.



Here is a photo of the cinnamon bun.


Now with icing.


Here is a photo of the bagel and part of the cherry strudel.


Here is a photo of the pie.
NOTE: In this drawing, the pie is pumpkin, I later change it to lemon meringue for added colour.


Here is a photo of the cupcake, and as you can see there is a mini chocolate square for decoration on the right side.


Here is the croissant.


Here is the donut (doughnut), whichever way you wish to spell it.


Here is the strudel.


Now a photo of the complete drawing.


Now I paint in the background.
I used black but I later change it to grey.


Now I will show you the individual items painted.









Here it is all painted with text included.
NOTE:  I created a trompe l'oeil (means simply "fools the eye") with the bagel and the pie plate by wrapping it onto the frame at the sides.

The frame has been painted black in preparation for the antiquing process..


I now sand the frame to make it look like old barn boards.

Here is the completed sign with acrylic gloss sealer added.




This recently sold to a wonderful couple named Suzanne and Joe.

I hope you enjoy it!

I hope you all enjoyed this post.

Until next time, happy crafting.