Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Henri The Fantastic Pheasant"

What do you get when you cross an oak cupboard door and a pheasant named Henri?

Well, I'll tell you.

Obviously an entrance sign! Ha ha ha!

This lovely couple named Diane and John contacted me to ask if I could paint something for them.  They had viewed some of my work on  kijiji Halifax and liked my style. 
(sorry John, I debated about whether I should place your name before Diane's again...but she paid me so she wins).
They told me about a couple of pheasants (Henri & Henrietta) who hang around near their house and wondered if I could paint one or both.
I had never even seen a pheasant let alone painted one...But, I was up to the challenge and told them I would draw up a few samples and get back in touch.

So I go on the internet searching for inspiration, I found a few photos to work from. I needed a male and a female because I wanted to give John and Diane the option to have one male pheasant single, one male and female, or a female alone.



Here is a VERY ROUGH first sketch.


Now it starts to get better.
NOTE: I draw out my design with pencil, then I scan it and print it off. The printed copy is the one that I colour, leaving the original in pristine shape.

The pencil drawing of the male.


The printed copy of the male.


Here is the pencil drawing of the other option including the female.


Here is the printed copy.


Simple drawings weren't enough, I wanted to be able to show Diane and John full colour examples.

So, off I went to my special art supply shelf and pulled out my fantastic PRISMACOLOR art pencils(I LOVE THESE PENCILS), a small garbage can for shavings and all my printed copies and settled in for a night of glorious colouring.
Fun Fun Fun!

NOTE:  I have to say, if you are stressed out please take up colouring it really is soothing.

Now the fun part.

Here are the progression sketch photos using the original colour palette requested.




As you can see, the gold lettering and the teal arc take away from the pheasants colouring.

I wasn't satisfied with the outcome so I decided to use different colours and show it to Diane and John as an alternative option.

Here are the coloured sketch photos of the alternative option.







Now for the male and female option. Here are the coloured sketches.









When Diane and John viewed their options, they chose to go with number 2.

Here are the steps I took with the actual plaque.

1. Drew out the design (added a few branches, blades of grass to embellish)
2. Created lettering with thin cardboard to use as a template
3. Painted (using acrylic)
4. Sealed using outdoor oil based polyurethane (gloss)5 to 6 good coats
(making sure it dries for 12 hours between)

Here are the progression photos.








And here is the finished product.


Here it is with all the gloss coats.


Diane came to pick it up and she loves it! I am so happy.

I hope you all enjoyed this post, see you again soon.

Here is an update!

John sent me a photo of the plaque hanging in place.
****THANKS JOHN****