Monday, June 27, 2011

The Great CANDLE-IER

O.K,....Before you accuse me of bad spelling I will just say that I did it on purpose, I'm very brave that way!

It's my way of going against the grain of society by daring to be different....Ha ha ha! No, really, there is a reason. Just read on.

Anyway, I mentioned in my earlier post how tiny my apartment is...what I didn't say was how dark it is.

Have you noticed the trend of NO CEILING LIGHT FIXTURES, (there is a half plug in every room that works with the light switch)?
I find that VERY annoying.

It's O.K. when you have living room lamps/ bedside lamps for muted lighting, but when you need a bright task light you are out of luck. And don't even get me started on these ENERGY SAVING light bulbs....when I want good lighting, 150 watts is what I'm looking for not some 20 watt that pretends it's 60 watts.

Do you think this could be a cover-up to help eye doctors sell glasses? Ha ha ha.

Onto my story...

In my effort to banish darkness from my apartment, I was looking to buy a plug in chandelier.

I found one on kijiji.   The person selling it said that it had a cord that could be plugged in, what they neglected to tell me is that it had been rewired with a 4 foot extension cord.

Now, considering the average ceiling height is 8 feet...Hmm,..I had a dilemma on my hands.

I figured I had some options though;

1. Get an electrician to install a plug in the ceiling (Ha ha ha! NOT going to happen!)
2. Get it rewired (probably expensive!)
3. Throw it outside out of frustration (which I seriously considered!)
4. Create something new

Obviously I chose option 4.

Here is the process

1. I removed all of the wiring, but I left the sockets in place
2. I painted it in a high gloss black
(the photo at the beginning of the post is not of my actual chandelier, I never took a before photo)
3. I placed tapered candles into all six of the sockets
(we already know that the glass shades are heat resistant, that's an added bonus)

AND.....VOILA!

THE GREAT CANDLE-IER




Here it is all lit up.


Now, obviously it isn't 150 watt task lighting but it is romantic, and it didn't break the bank.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Until next time, happy crafting!