Saturday, June 18, 2011

"The KITTY Corner"

I started thinking about pets and how much people love them, and how they love to buy them cute toys and beds....
Picture it....there I was sitting on the couch thinking, "What do we use every day that could also be used by cats?"

Then WHAMMO!!!! I knew what I had to do.
First of all, let me describe my target....

Do you have a cat?

If you do, I am sure you have noticed that they are quite aloof and very opinionated with their eyes ....
Here are some examples of pampered kitty syndrome.....

1. Your lap has become a convenient bed for them at any time of day.

2. If they want attention all they have to do is turn their cute heads and look at you.

3. My cat Magoo loves to drink from the dripping bathtub faucet, and if for some reason it isn't dripping.....He will MEOW all day until you figure out what's wrong and fix it.

4. When it's bed time, he/she runs into the bedroom and steals your pillow and then looks at you like your the problem.

5. My cat Magoo likes to sleep on top of a cabinet surrounded by his toys...
two catnip bags, a stuffed fish and a little red dinky car to name a few.
Just to get a rise out of me he will knock his toys down one at a time...all the while watching to see what I will do.

The list goes on and on....my point is, if you have a cat my two,  this new creation will appeal.

"THE KITTY CORNER" 
the sectional sofa fit for a pampered, spoiled kitty....

PROJECT PROCESS

1.  For the frame of the sectional I used the pine boards from an old IKEA slat bed frame and some screws.

2.  I applied some base fabric to the frame.

3.  For the finishing fabric I used an upholstery grade ultra-suede in caramel tones.

4.  I add the skirting to the base of the sectional.

5.  Now I start to place my finish fabric around the perimeter and arms.

6.  Then I glue on some homemade piping to conceal all staples.

7.  I make my seat cushions, and rather than using regular stuffing I decide to use hundreds of polar fleece squares that I had cut out for other projects. Surprisingly this makes the cushions feel very plush.

Here is a photo of the polar fleece squares.


Here is a photo of the finished stuffed seat cushions.


8.  Now I had to make back cushions. I decided on seven rectangular shaped ones. Here is a photo of them being sewn.


Here they are turned right side out and stuffed.


Here they are on the sectional.


9.  Now, I decided that I needed bolster pillows for each end. I used another upholstery grade fabric with an interesting design and coordinating colours.

Here is a photo of the bolster pillow all stuffed.


Here is the sectional with bolster pillows.


Lastly, just like my own couch, I wanted some accent pillows.

10.  I created two small accent pillows from the same fabric as the bolsters.


So, to recap the set includes
1. A sectional frame
2. Two long seat cushions
3. Seven back cushions
4. Two bolster pillows for the ends
5. Two small accent pillows.

Here is a photo of the completed sectional.


Now here are some bonus photos....my cats wanted to try it out even before I had it finished take a look.

Notice  how close Magoo keeps his  little red dinky car?


Well I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed sharing it with all of you.

Until next time, happy crafting.