Thursday, November 28, 2013

Rustic French Shutters


I was looking through kijiji ads a few months ago, and came across this window.  

I know, you're probably thinking "Gee, you should have left it there!"

Oh yeah...
did I forget to mention
they were
:)    ALL FOR FREE ?    :) 
There were four smaller windows & two of the larger ones like above...


I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get these hundred year old windows into my hands...
already I was imagining creating shutters with the larger ones.

It took quite a bit of elbow grease, but I managed to get them all cleaned up.

Here is an image of the frames with glass removed and loose paint scraped off.


See how much better it looks?

It took me all day, but I cleaned both of the larger window frames.
The next step was to fit them into my bedroom window...they were a tiny bit too small for the opening so I had to add a 2" piece of trim around the top, bottom and one of the long sides.


Here, the trim has been added.


The next step, obviously, is to paint the frame white.


Looking better all the time...

Here is a picture of all the materials I needed for this project...except for the hinges.


In the picture below, I added my mini curtain rods to top and bottom.

MAKE SURE that the top rod hooks face UP, and the bottom rod hooks
face DOWN...you want your curtains to stay in the window, not fly 
up, or fall down.


Here I did a dry fit into the window frame and attached the beautiful hinges
and the hook and eye to keep shutters closed


Here I show that the shutters partially open.


I measured the shutter opening, from top of curtain rod to bottom of lower curtain rod
(I hope that makes sense), so that the finished curtains are VERY snug.
Using my pinstripe sheet cut to size, I begin hand stitching my curtains.


I backed the curtains with muslin (unbleached cotton) for privacy.


Here they are...finished and installed.

Here I show the view with the shutters open.

The first time I did this, I couldn't believe how it seemed like the outside
was coming in...
so much brighter now!


AWESOME!!!!!


Don't you think they look vintage French?

Amazing what you can do with a sheet, a couple pieces of trim,
some screws, a needle and thread and windows fit for the garbage...
the possibilities are endless!

Hope you enjoyed this post.

Until next time, Be Creative!