Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Toothy Lucy Wins The "TOOTHY AWARD"...

Toothy Lucy
I created Toothy Lucy here to commemorate my "seven" dental visits in the past month...Yes, you read right...SEVEN!!!  
That's what happens when you don't go to a dentist for fifteen years.

Toothy Lucy goes to the dentist regularly and has even won the "TOOTHY AWARD" T-shirt to prove it!

Alas, I am not Toothy Lucy or a cartoon character for that matter...my dental care required a bit more than a pencil and an eraser to repair.

Obviously, the first thing my husband Trevor and I had to do was find a dentist.

We searched our local area and came up with a few different practices, but we decided to go with 





We had the works done...x-rays, exam and cleaning.

My husband was finished in less than an hour.
It was a completely different story for me, but I already knew that...

Here is a list of the problems I had
*beginning stages of periodontal disease, bone loss
*beginning stages of gingivitis, receding gums
*4 cavities (all around existing fillings, thank goodness!)
*plaque buildup
*wisdom teeth needed to be filled or extracted (I chose extraction)

Let's just say that I knew my teeth were in bad shape, but I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears when I heard exactly how bad they were.

From July 24th to August 27th I have been to the dental office seven times and I'm happy to say that everything has been taken care of.  
Now it's all about maintenance...and regular follow up appointments for cleanings of course.

I have to say to all the staff at Park West Dental, THANK YOU all so much for your incredible skill, your  professionalism and compassion for your patients...it meant a lot to me, and completely removed my fear of the dentist.

As all the people who follow my blog already know, I am artistic...I wanted to say a special thank you to Dr. Macnutt and Dr. Kamra, as well as the entire staff at Park West Dental in a way that is unique to me.

Here is what I came up with...

I noticed right away when I saw the exterior of the office that they had a vibrant turquoise sign.  
Upon entering the dental office, I noticed a recurring ART DECO theme...curved counter and wall, chrome, glass, art deco fire place.  

Here are some images...



          I stored all of these shapes and colours in my mind until inspiration struck!

I decided to go online to find other images associated with dentistry.  

Here are the images I found...

 I took the image above into PHOTOSHOP, cut out a small circle of the smile so that I would have a perfect template to use in the dental mirror as a reflection.

Here is the altered image.



     
Now for the art piece.

I will show the whole project progression with pictures...

















FINISHED!!!

From left  Mary (Dental Hygienist) & Dr. Macnutt
I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Thanks again Park West Dental...

As Toothy Lucy would say, "Thee ya later"