Saturday, April 2, 2011

Madisonville Beauties 3-D Painting

As I have mentioned numerous times before, I love vintage ads.This particular one was the inspiration for my next project.

Now, I always like to slightly change the original to make it more my style.
So I re-arranged things differently by adding new things and omitted others.

Here is a drawing of my vision.

Now, as usual I started with a 3/ inch thick, 2 X 4 Foot plywood board. As you can see I left a border around the outer edge and began drawing out my design inside of it.


Now I get my trim pieces for the frame:

1) Measure
2) Cut on a 45 degree angle with mitre box
3) Apply to plywood board using no more nails glue and then finishing nails
4) Using an awl or a nail-set (both the same thing), set your nails and then fill with paintable wood filler (I will complete this step later)


I want to create a three dimensional effect on my MADISONVILLE lettering and decide that tile grout would be perfect.
NOTE: It is difficult to apply. I fluctuated between using old brushes, a palette knife and q-tips in order to apply it to my satisfaction.

NOTE: If you are going to attempt this yourself I suggest you plan to be at it for about 3 hours It does take a while, but the results are definitely worth the effort.

Here is a photo.


Here is a 3/4 view.


Now I have created my strawberry out of DAS air drying clay using both white and terracotta.

Here the strawberry was just made so it is still wet.


After about 2 weeks, it is fully dry.


Using a wall spackle called DRYDEX, I create a raised section for the plaque to the left of the painting.
DRYDEX goes on pink and dries white.



I have also placed my strawberry where I want it and using no more nails glue I have attached it to the board.

NOTE: As you can see in the photo below, I have also applied the wood filler to the nail holes on the frame.

Now everything needs a light sanding.


I begin by painting in the entire piece, minus the frame, in my base colour of blue.
Then I paint the plaque on the left in a creamy white.


Now, I paint in a small cream band at the bottom for the future text.


I can now begin painting in my strawberry.


I also begin painting the MADISONVILLE lettering.


At this point, I look at the red colour and think,...hmmm, it's a little too dark. So, I decide to use a much brighter red.

I will show you a series of photos now depicting the rest of the painting process.










As the photo above shows, ALWAYS seal anything RED BEFORE you seal the entire piece. If you neglect this step, your red paint WILL bleed and ruin all of your hard work.
I usually just take a small paint brush and simply coat anything red with a few coats of varathane, letting each coat dry in between. Then I feel confident enough to coat the entire piece.

Here are the finished product photos.

I have applied 3 coats of chocolate brown to the frame and then coated the entire piece with as many coats as you like of high gloss acrylic varathane.





I sincerely hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did.

Until next time, have a great day and happy crafting!

Bye for now.