Tuesday, April 26, 2011

CUSTOM CAKE CREATIONS

In this post, I want to introduce you to a technique called
"TROMPE L'OEIL".
The meaning of this technique is simply, "To Fool The Eye".

You can check out examples of Tromp L'oeil by clicking this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trompe-l%27%C5%93il

As I have said many times, I love vintage looking signs.
This CUSTOM CAKE CREATIONS sign is no exception.

I wanted to create a vintage look with a modern twist.
I did this by using vibrant colours for the cake and lettering, a tromp l'oeil feature for the platter and by using a modern style topsy-turvy cake design.

First and foremost, I love to re-purpose items.
I have used a solid oak cupboard door measuring 30.5" LONG X 16" TALL as the base for this project.

NOTE: It's really great to re-use cupboard doors because they already have a frame.

Here are the steps I took to create this unique piece of art.

1) *I sanded the entire thing to get rid of the existing finish
*used paintable wood filler for the old hinge bracket holes, let dry and sand flush
*primed the inside of the door leaving the frame natural



2) I began drawing in my design.




3) I painted it all in using acrylic paints.
I also created a cherry coloured stain for the frame.



NOTE: I add the Tromp L'oeil technique at this stage. Notice the cake platter above, now look at the photo below. I have extended the platter over the frame and it now looks closer to you.



4) I signed it at the bottom right corner.


5) Sealed with acrylic gloss sealer.

6) Attached eye hooks for hanging.


I sincerely hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to all of your comments.

Until next time, have great day and happy crafting.