Sunday, March 10, 2013

The empty BULLETIN BOARD

I mentioned in an earlier post, that my husband Trevor, is back in school. 

He is studying computer technology.

The reason I mention this is...in one of his classes (User Interface Design & Development), all the students (working in groups) are required to decorate one of the schools bulletin boards.

They must include all of the pertinent information required by the instructor, and find a unique and creative way to display it all using whatever resources are available to them.


Now Trevor is GREAT with numbers and technical data...but artistic stuff eludes him. 

He called me from school one afternoon and said, "You know how you're always asking if you can help with anything?"

I said, "Yes."

He said, "Do you still want to?"

I said, "Sure.  (inside I'm like...YIPPEE!!!)"   

I know what you're thinking...this girl doesn't get out much.  Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa!

Trevor told me to go to the college website and look at the computer technologies page just to see if I could come up with any ideas.

That's exactly what I did.  I looked at the courses being offered...
  • Database Administration
  • Database Development
  • System Management
  • Information Technology
  • Web Programming
  • Programming
I had an idea as soon as I read these course names...the first word actually,  DATABASE.

I bet you're wondering what I came up with...well, wonder no more!!

I decided on a SCIENCE FICTION / SPACE theme. 

Let's examine the word database for instance.
 Doesn't this instantly remind you of STAR TREK?
DATA + BASE
  

 

      PLUS





          EQUALS




I instantly got to work. 

For PROGRAMMING, I thought about Qui gon jinn from Star Wars, using mind tricks...here it is




For WEB DESIGN I thought of the Borg Queen...here she is with the terrified little web designer




For SYSTEM MANAGEMENT, we have the Architect from the Matrix...




The PIECE-DE-RESISTANCE...




Using this picture of Morpheus, I created my own version.  

I didn't want him to be holding guns so I had to copy an image of an open hand, then flip the image so that I had a pair of hands.  I also printed off Morpheus' head...I don't do hands and faces.

Once I printed off lifesize versions of the hands and face, I glued them to thin cardboard and cut them all out.



Because Morpheus is black, I printed the hands off in sepia tone...

Next, using a huge piece of flexible cardboard I found between the paper towel stacks at our local COSTCO, I began to draw.

Here I will show images of the project in progression.




Here is the finished bulletin board.






I also created the flash drive, the mini signs and the red and blue pill.




This last image is just for fun.....

 I hope you enjoyed this post, I certainly enjoyed sharing it with you.

Until next time, BE CREATIVE...