Friday, September 14, 2012

All Screened In


Have you ever wondered what to do with an old screen door after it has served it's original purpose?

Okay then,...I guess it's just me!


I suppose their are worse things I could wonder about...Ha ha ha!

Here is a bit of background information to explain...

Last week, my husband started a course at the local college.

He decided that he "needed" a brand new computer with the capability to handle the huge programs of today...we hadn't purchased a new computer since 2005, so it was definitely time.

Since I am definitely NOT a computer geek, I am at a complete loss to explain it's AWESOME technological qualities...My husband however, could go on for hours about it's hard drive capabilities, memory capacity...blah, blah, blah....

I'm pretty much computer illiterate, or maybe it's computer deficit syndrome...when I hear people talking about them for too long, I can't help it, it just sounds like gibberish! 

I'll just stick to things like...

"Wow, it looks great!"  or "Gee, it's so quiet!"

I'm just glad that Trevor loves it... he understands all the technical stuff, so that's what matters.
 

As I have mentioned numerous times before, we live in a small apartment.

I really wanted Trevor to feel like he had a beautiful work space that "FELT" like a separate room, while actually still being in the same room.

When Trevor bought his new computer, I realized we would need a few things.

1.  A new computer chair for him, so that he could spend a lot of time working in comfort.

Bought this executive chair for $30

2.  A specific workspace for Trevor...

Here is what I did!
                                       
I decided to divide our living room into 2 distinct areas by using an old screen door I found on kijiji for $20.  

I will now explain how I did it.  

THINGS YOU WILL NEED
  • screen door  Bought from kijiji for $20
  • palm sander, sandpaper, scraper to scuff up the old finish for a shabby chic look or to prepare for new paint  (I chose to paint)
  • screwdriver    To remove all hardware.  Hinges, door pull, screen, etc.
  • paint  I used TREMCLAD "recreational white" oil based paint.  The only reason I used oil, is because the original finish was already oil.   
  • fabric  In my case, I had leftover fabric from the sofa pillow project. 
  • matchstick blind  I cut down an existing one that I already had.  ( I will eventually find a peg or white board to fit in this space)
  • wall anchors and screws
  • decorative paper   My old screen door came with a small bonus piece of plexiglass, which I decoupaged with a brown zebra print decorative paper
 Here are the photos.

I absolutely love the scroll work and spindle details

Doesn't it look magnificent?
Now all I have to do is remove the screen,  remove all the
hardware, sand, scrape, paint, staple fabric on, hand it on
the wall with hinges, oh yeah...and hang the matchstick
blind on the opposite side.  That's not too much at all....




  
  
Office area all finished!!!


Here is the view of the living room from office area.




And finally, here is the third thing we needed.

3.  A desk for me because I inherited the old computer.  YIPPEE!!!

I bought this old buffet base for my desk for $60

 I hope you enjoyed this post...if  you come across an old screen door in your neighborhood, I hope you find an ingenious way to reuse it.

Until next time, happy crafting!