Thursday, May 10, 2012

Slipcover Extravaganza

In this post, I will showcase three separate slipcover projects.

I did NOT use a pattern, but thought it would be nice to show that patterns are available for purchase just in case you find the prospect of creating one on your own too daunting at first (view image at left).

My camera, due to a memory card malfunction, wasn't working at the time that I made these slipcovers so I resorted to creating rough sketches as a means to explain the process as simply as I could.

I have since purchased a new memory card, enabling me to include photos of the finished products from the reverse and right sides.

As I have already stated,  this post contains three different slipcover projects. 

The first one we will look at is a simple cube footstool.


As you can see, it's just a run-of-the-mill faux leather footstool.
I am also sure that you can see how my two kitties decided to add their own personal flare to it! Ha ha.

Here are some drawings of the process.


The image with all the pins on the left hand side of the photo above indicates all of the sewing lines.


Looks pretty simple doesn't it?

Well, it is!
Once you have created one slipcover, the only daunting part from then on will be the size of the project.

Here are the completed photos.
 

 Here we have another footstool, but this one is round.


Now for the final piece...an office chair slipcover.

This particular project includes only before and after photos.


My office chair has water stains on the seat, this is what prompted me to make the slipcover in the first place.

It's still a perfectly good chair, just doesn't look the best...but it will!

Here is what it looks like now.

 

NOTE: This project is a bit more complicated than the slipcovers above, but only because it isn't all straight lines.

Don't be afraid to try something like this for yourself, after all, I managed to create one and I never follow a pattern. If I could do it...surely you can too!

My only advice,  is that you build it in your head and on paper first...this way, you think of each problem BEFORE you begin and therefore also find a solution!

This is why I usually have a preliminary drawing of everything I create. I hope you give slipcovers a try...they transform your existing furniture pieces from season to season without the need for buying anything new.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Until next time, HAPPY CRAFTING!!!