Saturday, October 29, 2011

"The QUILTED Bee"

Sometimes I find inspiration by writing out lists of topics and then trying to think of as many items concerning that topic as I can to create a pleasant composition...

This is the process I used to create  
"THE QUILTED BEE".

First I decided it would be about sewing, so then I started thinking about sewing notions, machines, pins etc.
I did a rough sketch...here it is.


Once I had the rough sketch done, I did some homework and found many images for inspiration. I will include a few of them here








So, my complete list of items included in the final composition are;
  • PIN CUSHION
  • CRAFT BOX
  • 2 BOLTS OF FABRIC
  • SCISSORS
  • SEWING MACHINE
  • IRON
  • 2 BUTTONS
  • SEAM RIPPER
  • MEASURING TAPE
  • THREAD
  • 2 TYPES OF EMBROIDERY FLOSS
  • 1 SHARP NEEDLE WITH WHITE THREAD
  • 1 BLUNT NEEDLE NEAR DMC THREAD
  • APPLIQUE BOOK
  • YARN AND KNITTING NEEDLES
  • 2 SIMPLICITY CLOTHING PATTERNS
  • LACE
  • VINTAGE QUILT PATTERN BOOK
  • RIBBON RACK 
  • "THE QUILTED BEE"  WALL HANGING 
    Now that the items have been chosen and the preliminary sketch has been drawn up, I can transfer my ideas to my MDF board.

    Here are the materials I used;
    • AN MDF BOARD measuring 24" Long  X  14.5" Tall
    • A MIXTURE OF CRAFTERS ACRYLIC PAINT AND ARTIST ACRYLICS
    • ACRYLIC VARATHANE COATING
    Here is a photo of the final draft on the MDF board.


    The following photos will show the progression of the project.






























    Here it is with three coats of gloss acrylic varathane.

    I hope you all enjoyed this post!

    Until next time, happy crafting!!!