Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Journeying Bench

My friend Howard made this bench for me in 2004.  I painted it in a crackle finish at the time to match my dining room table.

Here are the dimensions: 48" Long X 14" High X 11" Wide

Now, years later (2008), I decided to give it a new look.

The project I will show you today is called
"The Journeying Bench".

I will take you through the steps I took to achieve the final product.
Step 1I sanded the bench top, and primed the bottom using acrylic latex primer.


Step 2
I then started looking for inspiration and found it in the form of vintage ads for hotels and travel, etc.

Here is a list of individual items I used.

1. three postage stamps
2. HOTEL ROBLIN advertisement
3. Royal Hotel advertisement
4. Canadian Passport brown leather
5. key chain with two keys and an I LOVE JESUS tag
6. visa card
7. Southern Pacific Railways postcard
8. coffee cup/ saucer/ spoon
9. Newspaper Travel Edition
* hot air balloon 
* Tokyo sign
* Eiffel tower 
* Famous Four shipping lines
* concert tickets 
* American Mail Line
* Airplane
* TEXT: 
A1 * passport * Travel Agents
A2 * Airports * Train Stations * Bus Depots
A3 * Insurance * Postal Service
10. nickle
11. glasses
12. personalized pen
13. loonie
14. quarter
15. personal postcard
16. opened envelope
17. a letter opener
18. post-it note pad
19. Savoy Florence advertisement
20. Snack Plate: croissant/ pickle/ olives

Step 3
Now that all of my inspiration items have been gathered together, I start drawing them onto the bench top.








Step 4
Now I begin painting everything in. I add a drop shadow at the end.

Step 5
I apply two coats of black acrylic paint to the base of the bench.

Step 6
I finish the project with three coats of acrylic varathane.

Here are photos of the entire finishing process.












































I sincerely hope you enjoyed this post.

Have a great day and happy crafting.

Bye for now.