Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gloria's Bench

My friend Gloria had a small, decorative pine bench just screaming for embellishment and asked if I would paint something on it for her.


Of course,  I said YES!

So, we got together for coffee and took a look through my portfolio.

She saw a photograph of two monarch butterflies sitting on a flower that she absolutely loved...
 so I showed her one of my previous blog posts, called (MONARCH GARDEN PLAQUE) as an example of how the finished piece could look seeing as I had used the same photograph as my inspiration for it.

Here is the original photo of the monarchs on the flower.


Now, I didn't want the finished project to look too much like the other project I had completed so I decided to add other elements.

Here are some photos.






I have to say that unfortunately, due to a memory card failure, I did not get a photo of the pine bench in its raw state. I had already drawn in the rough outline by the time I got a replacement card.

Once I decided what size and shape I would use to outline the designated painting area, I pulled all of my inspirational pictures close and decided how they would fit together harmoniously in one image. Then I grabbed my trusty pencil and began to draw...

Here is an image of the pencil drawing with a white background just so I could differentiate one thing from another.


Here are some close-ups of each element.





Now I can start painting.
Here is a photographic tour of each step...






















Finally here we have the finished project with gloss acrylic sealer applied.






Gloria absolutely loved it!

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Until next time, have a great day and happy crafting!