Friday, September 30, 2011

"TO BUY, OR NOT TO BUY", that is the question.

"TO BUY,  OR NOT TO BUY", that is the question.

Like many of you out there, I have accumulated a reference library over time.

I have purchased a few craft books focusing on one or more of my interests, I have also collected various clippings of old ads (some for their interesting font styles, vibrant colours or simply the image itself), I also have a collage of iron or wooden furniture pieces from old discarded magazines and even have fabric images and actual samples.

If you see something you like the texture, colour or composition of, save it... and put it in a folder or box

This is how you will develop your own personal reference library. 

You may not even know why an item caught your eye in the first place, but it did and the reason will become apparent someday...you may be looking for something entirely unrelated a year or even ten down the road and come across this item and all of a sudden you are totally inspired to create!
The prospect of purchasing craft books can be daunting to say the least.  Not only are they extremely expensive, there are so many out there dealing with so many different topics that finding the one that doesn't just have a pretty cover but also contains valuable information is near impossible.

Before I buy ANYTHING...I borrow it from the library.  If they don't have it on the shelves yet, you can get the staff to place a hold on it...you may have to wait a while to see what it contains but that is far better than spending $40 or more and finding that the book was useless for you.

I enjoy going to the library and filling my bags full of books dealing with crafting of any kind. 

I have gazed through innumerable books, magazines and pamphlets, dealing with Tiling, Sewing, Clay Figurines, Faux Paint Techniques, Jewelry Making, Cross-Stitch Patterns, Quilting, DIY Projects, Interior Decorating, Scroll Saw Patterns, Marquetry Inlay PatternsIntarsia Patterns , floral arrangement...the list goes on forever.

Let me set the scene....I go into the kitchen and brew myself a fresh cup of coffee.

With coffee in hand, I go into the living room and dump all of my library books onto my massive coffee table.
I gaze at the colourful book covers again, I am so anxious to dive in and discover the promises they conceal...I am now ready to spend the next few hours studying them and soaking up valuable ideas.

Have you ever heard the expression, "don't judge a book by its cover"?

Well, I can attest to that!

After only 20 minutes of perusing these supposed gems, I notice a common theme...they underestimate the intelligence and skills of the crafter.

The cover of each craft book showed at least one very colourful or interesting design and as a visual learner that is what drew you to it... unfortunately, when you open it you find that there is one,  maybe two items of note and the rest is filled with 20 different macaroni crafts or paper mache zodiac symbols!

I personally think that the simple approach is great...but, I find over simplicity to be a tad condescending!

Even if you are new to crafting, you know you can create...that is why a book of craft ideas appeals to begin with.  When the ideas seem beneath even a beginners skill level, they are obviously not challenging enough. 
You know that you already possess the gift of creativity in your mind... your hands just haven't found the perfect method in which to express it.  

Even though I have been painting and crafting for years, I still like to try things that I don't think I can do...a little fear of potential failure can spur you on and challenge your own boundaries.  Sure, sometimes it ends in failure but it can also end much better than you expected, turning into a new skill and new passions.


Rarely, I find a book that really grabs my attention and scores a 100% as a reference library addition.

As I walked through the aisles of my local public library I happened upon a book called
DADDY'S TIES by Shirley Botsford
 This book resonated with me on so many levels.
*low cost materials
*vintage looking style
*multipurpose and recycled materials
*easy to read
*easy to follow instructions
*completely original

I really hope you go to your public library and take a good look around to find the right reference materials for your creative passions.

The question, "to buy or not to buy", completely depends on you!  
You must do your due diligence and seek out the materials you need, when you find something that draws you back again and again you have found something worthy of your reference library therefore making the cost seem small when you consider it's true value to you and your work.

Daddy's Ties will definitely become part of my reference library.
Thank you Shirley Botsford, I really like your style!

Until next time,
HAPPY CRAFTING